Key subject aims
The new GCSE qualification in Mathematics encourages students to develop confidence in, and a positive attitude towards, mathematics and to recognise the importance of mathematics in their own lives and to society. This qualification prepares students to make informed decisions about the use of technology, the management of money, further learning opportunities and career choices. There are two tiers of entry: Foundation or Higher.
Overview of assessment
|Higher Tier||Foundation Tier|
|Levels 4-9 available||Levels 1-5 available|
|3 written papers each 33% of the final grade||3 written papers each 33% of the final grade|
|Exam length 1 hour 30 minutes each||Exam length 1 hour 30 minutes each.|
|80 marks on each paper||80 marks on each paper|
|Paper 1H Non-calculator||Paper 1F Non-calculator|
Paper 2H Calculator
Paper 3H Calculator
Paper 2F Calculator
Paper 3F Calculator
|The problem-solving elements of mathematics are assessed on each paper:|
|30% of the Higher Tier papers||25% of the Foundation Tier papers|
Knowledge and understanding
The new GCSE Mathematics qualification requires students to:
- Develop knowledge, skills and understanding of mathematical methods and concepts, including: Number, Algebra, Geometry, Measures, Statistics, Probability.
- Use knowledge and understanding to make connections between mathematical concepts.
- Apply the problem-solving elements of mathematics in everyday and real-life situations.
The new GCSE Mathematics qualification gives students the opportunity to
develop the ability to:
- acquire and use problem-solving strategies
- select and apply mathematical techniques and methods in mathematical, every day and real-world situations
- reason mathematically, make deductions and inferences and draw conclusions
- interpret and communicate mathematical information in a variety of forms appropriate to the information and context.
Every student has access to the www.mymaths.co.uk website which contains lessons, homework and revision exercises for them to work through.
We expect all students to have their own geometry set and scientific calculator.