Exam Board Edexcel
As of September 2016, year 10 students studying MFL for their GCSE will follow the new Edexcel GCSE course. This is a linear course and each skill area (listening, speaking, reading and writing) will be worth 25% of the final GSCE result.
If you enjoy communicating with other people, finding out how language works and learning about different countries and cultures, studying GCSE French or German at Alderman White School or Spanish at The Bramcote School is an excellent choice for you! Of course you will learn to understand a lot more French, German or Spanish when you hear it or read it and be able to say and write a lot more in French, German or Spanish but there are many other reasons for taking this GCSE course.
- You will add an international dimension to your choice of GCSE subjects, which is something many future employers and higher education providers look for. If you intend to go to university, you will need to be able to compete with other students in an international market.
- You will learn many skills which are useful in a wide range of future careers, such as the ability to communicate clearly, being confident about speaking in public, using problem-solving strategies, etc.
- You will create greater opportunities for yourself to work abroad, or for companies in the UK with international links. Many employers look for people who speak a foreign language.
Students follow the Edexcel GCSE course and study four main topic areas: Out and about; Customer service and transactions; Personal information; Future plans, education and work. Students complete speaking and writing controlled assessments throughout the course and choose the best ones to enter. Themes include: sport and leisure; media and culture; travel and tourism; business, work and employment.
Unit 1 - Listening paper worth 20% of final GCSE grade. Listening to extracts in the foreign language with mainly multiple-choice questions in English.
Unit 2 - Two controlled speaking assessments lasting for four to six minutes each and worth 30% of the final GCSE grade: One a two minute prepared presentation about a selected topic followed by questions from your teacher. The other a discussion with your teacher about a photograph, lasting for four to six minutes.
Unit 3 - Reading paper worth 20% of final GCSE grade. Texts in the foreign language with mainly multiple-choice questions in English.
Unit 4 - Two controlled writing assessments of approximately 200 words lasting one hour each and worth 30% of the final GCSE grade. For example a film review, a magazine article about what it is like being a teenager, a web page about your school or a blog about what you did at half term.
People with language skills and knowledge are highly thought of in the modern world. They stand out as talented and successful people, with broad and exciting horizons!
Taking a French/ Spanish/German GCSE means you will:
- Have much more fun when travelling to a French / German / Spanish speaking country
- Be able to study AS and A2 French / German / Spanish courses
- Add an extra international dimension to your personal skills profile which will impress anyone who reads your CV
- Be in a stronger position to get a job in companies with international links or to work abroad
For further information please contact:
Miss McBride (Alderman White) or Miss Garcia (The Bramcote School)